Umling La (Pass) -Permits and Permissions !!
FACTS and MYTH
Recently news and pictures were floating on social media of a newly opened highest motor able road in the world- Umling La situated at 19,300 feet above sea level and 1000 feet higher then Khardung La which was claimed to be the Highest motor-able road (18379 feet) and wore the crown of being world highest motorable road till date.
The Route: Where is it and how to reach ??
There are no roads constructed as such to reach Umling La, only a patch is constructed. The road will connect the villages of Chisumle and Demchok in southern Ladakh; approx total length of 21 – 24 kilometers. The entire stretch is currently under construction but BRO has already put the board there.
Umling La is somewhere close to Hanle and Koyul, further ahead of Photi La Pass; extremely close to Indo-China border from Demchok, also known as Demjok; an army establishment.
Route:- Hanle- Ukdungle – Demchok- Umling La.
ILP (Permits) and Permission to cross Umling La Pass :-
What is ILP?
ILP – Inner Line Permit is an official travel document issued by the government of India to allow inward travel of an Indian citizen into a protected/restricted area for a limited period. It is obligatory for Indian citizens from outside those States to obtain permit for entering into the protected State. This is to regulate movement to certain areas located near the international border of India for National security measures and is applicable in certain parts of Leh Ladakh.
We saw lot of travel companies selling Umling La this year claiming that they will take all Tourist / groups to the newly opened world highest pass and selling the packages without knowing anything about it. We have received lot of calls regarding the same whether they can take groups to umling La or not ?
So here comes the real story, facts about the ILP /Permits & Permission :
• As of now Leh Ladakh authorities (LAHDC Leh) did not have any kind of official permit / permission for civilians to grant to access Umling La.
• Even if you succeeded to reach nearby then also Army camp at the base will not allow you to go further. However one can go in very special case accompanied by Army personal (That too when you get a special permission from high commands)
• Under no circumstances can one go to Demchok as you cannot get permission for that place EVER!! One can go in very rare special case accompanied by Army personal (again that too when you get special permission from high commands)
• If you enter the area by tricking or hiding from Army personals then there are high chances that you end up near indo china border as there are no sign board and no roads to track, only dirt patches, which are hard to remember. And you will find yourself arrested. As going close to the indo China border or crossing it is a punishable offence. It will be considered as breech to security.
• An ITBP post is located near indo-china border to check that no one crosses the area as after that post lays Noman’s land and that lead to china.
The whole point to understand is that Umling La is very close to China border hence it is not a picnic spot.
Army constructs new roads and open new passes for all but few areas are strictly for their official use for National safety and security, not for tourism!!
We should all respect the fact that this is for our Nation safety & Security.